United Way | Worldwide
For 126 years United Way Worldwide has been envisioning a world where all individuals and families achieve their human potential through education, income stability and healthy lives. They strive to achieve this vision by improving lives and mobilizing the caring power of communities around the world to advance the common good. Everyone wins when a child succeeds in school, when families are financially stable, and when people are healthy. United Way’s goal is to create long-lasting changes by addressing the underlying causes of these problems. Living united means being a part of the change. It takes everyone in the community working together to create a brighter future. United Way’s work is focused on making a community impact based on three building blocks for a good life.
Education: Helping Children and Youth Achieve Their Potential
Income: Promoting Financial Stability and Independence
Health: Improving People’s Health
The Role of Vice President, Resource Development
United Way of Greater Greensboro | North Carolina
The Vice President, Resource Development serves as a member of the senior leadership team and the primary donor relationship manager for the organization. This position reports directly to the President and provides direct supervision to members of the Resource Development Department. The Resource Development Department is responsible for implementing strategies and programs that significantly expand donor relationships, identify new accounts, and find other sources of funding to support the annual campaign and special initiatives that support the mission of the organization. The Vice President, Resource Development will develop a culture that rewards best practices in fundraising designed to build a donor pipeline that is adequate to meet or exceed annual fundraising goals. Primary responsibilities and expectations are as follows:
Responsibilities and Expectations
Campaign Management and Donor Engagement:
- Campaign Targets and Results
- Analyze and assess campaign and donor portfolios, including the giving capacity of top donors, within 30 days in the position.
- Utilize financial data to advise and lead the President and Campaign Chair in developing annual financial targets and goals.
- Display measured growth in annual campaign each year of approximately 5-10%.
- Donor Expansion and Engagement
- Build a plan for retaining and stewarding current donors, LYBUNTS, and SYBUNTS by June 2014.
- Identify leads for the organization to apply for new sources of funding – grants, corporate matching, foundations, other.
- Create progressive ideas for penetrating new segments of donors and funding entities.
- Compliance with gift policies and procedures
- Observe, monitor and improve current gift policies and procedures. Within first year identify strengths and weaknesses; as needed, recommend new standards.
- Donor and Community
- Develop and lead a cultivation and solicitation strategy that incorporates the efforts of development staff, President and campaign volunteers.
- Spend approximately 60% of time cultivating and soliciating donors in person.
- Communicate and educate 10% of the donor portfolio on a monthly basis including community events.
- Staff and Volunteers
- Improve and manage the campaign process to ensure a positive volunteer and temporary staff experience.
- Create a performance culture. Communicate fundraising expectations and inspire engagement of employees, board members and community supporters.
- Lead staff and volunteers by example in demonstrating ‘everyone is a fundraiser’ and telling the story of the United Way mission.
Employee Development and Self Development Systems:
- Team Management
- Be a ‘change-agent’.
- Demonstrate a passion for United Way’s mission; hold staff to same expectation.
- Empower, lead and invest in the team’s skills as fundraisers.
- Act as the fundraising leader
- Establish department and individual performance goals
- Develop a strong team through hiring, training, and valuing employees
- Plan, assign, schedule, direct and monitor of work
- Maintain effective and open communication
- Process Improvement and Implementation
- Collaborate with the CFO to create annual operating budgets and forecasts for Resource Development.
- Manage and meet the budget.
- Craft a process map, within 90 days, that outlines key fundraising procedures and campaign gift analysis. Create visual tools for staff and volunteers, such as gift pyramids.
- Mission Knowledge
- Be informed and able to communicate confidently the organization’s mission and programs within 90 days.
- Use fluency and belief in the mission to educate and engage current donors and potential donors.
- Learn and leverage new fundraising strategies and tools to further the mission of United Way.
The Vice President, Resource Development is a proven leader and fundraiser. The VP has a passion for United Way, particularly the impact and presence it has in Greater Greensboro and aspires to lead a team to change lives. The following are the desired qualities and skills of the VP the following:
- Initiator and self-motivated
- Generator of new ideas
- Life-long learner
- Hands on leadership
- Performance Manager
- Data Analyst
- Listener and thinker
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Procedure for Candidacy
United Way of Greater Greensboro is being assisted in its recruiting efforts by Capital Development Services. Nominations, expressions of interest, and resumes must be submitted via email or mailed.
Confidential inquiries about the search should be directed to our team at 336-747-0133 ext. 208 or to email@example.com.
Applicants for the position must submit the following:
1. Cover letter;
2. Current resume; and
3. List of at least three professional references.
Please submit nominations, expressions of interest and application materials either electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org or mail them to:
Capital Development Services
633 W. 4th Street, Suite 202
Winston-Salem, NC 27101
Nominations and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Looking for nonprofit jobs in the area?
Visit Guilford Nonprofit Consortium's Job Board for great leads.